Ingredients & Directions
1 1/2 C.
Poblano chiles (about 3/4 pound)
Onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Hot chili powder, or 2 teaspoons chili powder plus
Semisweet chocolate, chopped
Whole fresh cilantro leaves
Fresh lime juice
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil; grease foil.
- Place onion slices and pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet. Broil peppers about 5 minutes or until skins are blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag and seal; let stand 15 minutes.
- Peel and coarsely chop. Broil onion slices about 10 minutes, or until edges are blackened. Cool and chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the almonds and pine nuts, and cook, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned.
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin and cook 30 seconds or until spices are fragrant.
- Add the broth, onion, and peppers. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the onion is very tender.
- Add the chocolate, stirring until melted. Let mixture cool slightly and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the cilantro and puree until smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and salt