With the average American putting away more than 140 pounds of potatoes each year, it's hard to go wrong with potatorich recipe ideas. Claim Jumper Restaurants sell a quarter of a million orders of Cheese Potatocakes each year, while Denny's offers Smothered Cheese Fries with Cheddar, Bacon and a side of ranch dressing. On the following pages we're providing recipes and presentation ideas that draw on the power of the potato.
Mashed Potato Make-Over
Customize your mashed potato offerings by trying one of the following suggestions:
- Add mascarpone and chopped chives
- Mix in vegetable blends to add color and flavorñ corn and red bell pepper; or a blend of diced carrots, zucchini and onion
- Give mashed potatoes an unexpected accent by mixing in shredded kale, cabbage, fennel, leeks, acorn squash, pumpkin, turnips or sweet onions
- Create pesto potatoes with fresh basil, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and pine nuts
- For breakfast mashed potatoes, add bacon bits and cheese
- Impart a Mexican accent by mixing whole kernel corn and cumin into mashed potatoes
- Spice up your mashed potatoes with jalapeño juice and small bits of fresh jalapeño.