• Chanterelle in New York City featured a Sunday Salon event in June—Seduced by Spain: Queso Y Vino–with regional wine, sherry, and cheeses selected by fromager Adrian Murcia. For $55 a person, guests sampled a half-dozen harmonious pairings of Spanish cheeses and wines.
• At Phillips Seafood Restaurant in Atlantic City, NJ, a popular menu item is the Phillips Crab Mac and Cheese.
• The Park Hyatt Washington in Washington, DC, has a resident cheese expert, Paula Pereira, who offers guests wine-and-cheese pairing suggestions. A seasonal artisanal cheese menu is available each night in the Park Hyatt’s Lounge. Cheese selections are presented on a wood cheese board, accompanied by raisins on the vine, honey, dried fruit, quince paste, and a mini-baguette and flat bread.
• Eno, the lounge inside the InterContinental Chicago, offers a combination of wine, cheese and chocolates. On the menu are more than 35 artisanal cheeses, 500 wines by-the-glass, and handcrafted chocolates.
Other ideas include the following recipe suggestions from Pier Sixty/The Lighthouse in New York City and Canoe Bay in Chetek, WI.
Tuscan Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Burrata
From: executive chef Philip deMaiolo, c.e.c., Pier sixty/ the lighthouse, nYc.
Yield: 6 servings.
- 3 cups halved or quartered small yellow and red tomatoes
- 3 cups medium-dice seedless watemelon
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
- 12 leaves fresh mint, chiffonade
- to taste, salt and pepper
- 6 slices semolina baguette, 1⁄2” thick, toasted
- as needed, prepared pesto
- 8 oz. burrata cheese, cut into 6 equal portions
- as needed, cracked black pepper
- 1.2 oz. micro arugula
- 6 fried basil leaves
- as needed, balsamic glaze
Toss tomato and watermelon in olive oil with basil and mint. season with salt and pepper. Marinate 1⁄2 hour.
Per order: drain tomato/watermelon mixture of marinade. Place 1 cup mixture in center of chilled salad plate. Brush 1 baguette toast with pesto. Place baguette toast at 11 o’clock position on plate. top baguette with 1 wedge burrata cheese. sprinkle cracked black pepper over burrata. Place mound of micro arugula atop tomato/watermelon salad. crown presentation with 1 fried basil leaf. drizzle balsamic glaze around salad. serve immediately.
Gruyere with Beets and Pickled Quince
From: chef scott Johnson, canoe Bay, chetek, Wi.
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 oz. water
- 1 oz. cider vinegar
- 1 oz. honey
- 2 quinces, peeled, seeded, cut into 1⁄8” strips
- 2 beets, cooked, peeled, sliced thin (1⁄8” crosswise)
- to taste, salt and pepper
- 6 oz. Wisconsin Roth Kase Grand Cru Gruyere Cheese, cut into 4 thick slices
In small saucepot, combine water, vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil. add quince. cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
To serve: arrange beets on 4 serving plates. top with quince. season to taste. Place cheese slices over quince.