From: Chef Andy Husbands, Tremont 647, Boston.
Yield: 25 tots.
- 10 80-ct. bakers Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- as needed, kosher salt and pepper
Boil potatoes, starting in cold water, and boil for about 15-25 minutes, depending on how many you’re cooking, until potatoes can be pierced with a fork but do not fall apart.
Cool to room temperature and grate. Form into small croquettes. Fry to order, then season with kosher salt and pepper.
Stuffed with Andouille & Smoked Cheddar variation (yields 25 tots):
- 1 lb. aged andouille, minced
- 1 lb. smoked cheddar, brunois
Mix together and form tot around the filling, about 1 Tbsp. per each. Fry to order.
Crusted with Parmesan and Fresh Herbs variation (yields 25 tots):
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, minced
- 1 tsp. chile pepper flakes
Mix well. Season the tots with this mixture after frying. Serve with salmon.
Truffle-Scented Tot variation (yields 25 tots):
- as needed white truffle oil to taste, salt and pepper
Make the basic tot recipe, then spray with white truffle oil and season with salt and pepper to order.