Ingredients & Directions
1 1/2 Tbsp.
1 1/2 lbs.
1 14-oz. can
1 1/2 C.
Garden Hearts® Petite Hearts of Romaine
Onion, finely chopped
Garlic clove, minced
Lean ground beef
Dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Large flour tortillas, fried into crisp bowls
Fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
Small can black olives, sliced
Jalapeño Cilantro Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Small corn tortillas, cut into ribbons, fried crisply and salted
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts® and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Reserve four whole outer leaves from each head and shred remaining lettuce.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil, add onion and garlic; cook until translucent.
- Add ground beef and brown, chopping it up finely. Stir in chili powder, cumin and tomato paste. Add kidney beans and simmer until beef is done. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Place a tortilla bowl on its side, stand 4 whole romaine leaves along the back and fill with shredded Garden Hearts®. Top with beef mixture, tomatoes, cheese, scallions and black olives.
- Drizzle with Jalapeño Cilantro Vinaigrette and add tortilla ribbons on the side.
Jalapeño Cilantro Vinaigrette
Garlic cloves, minced
Red wine vinegar
Fresh lemon juice
Large jalapeños, seeded and finely minced
Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients except vegetable oil. When well blended, slowly whisk in oil until emulsified.
Chef’s comments: “These South-of-the-Border flavors combine well with the crunch of Garden Hearts® of Romaine lettuce.”