Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) fat-free chicken or beef broth
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz each) traditional pack Alaska Salmon
- to taste, salt
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack Mexican-style cheese, grated
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
Heat oil over medium heat, using a large stockpot. Add onions and garlic; stir and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until just starting to brown. Sprinkle in flour; stir and cook 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, canned milk and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes.
Drain and flake salmon in large pieces, removing skin and bones (if any). Add salmon to soup and season to taste with salt. Heat through.
To serve: Place 1⁄3 cup cheese in bottom of large soup bowl. Add soup. Sprinkle with tortilla chips.