Yield: 24 scones.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup butter, salted and chilled
- 2 tsp. lemon zest, fresh minced
- 4 tsp. thyme, fresh minced
- 2 tsp. black pepper, cracked
- 2 cups yellow onions, diced 1⁄4”
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried sour cherries, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten, for egg-washing the tops of scones
- as needed for forming scones, flour
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add butter and blend until mixture resembles cornmeal with small chunks of butter still visible. Add lemon zest, thyme, pepper, onions and dried cherries. Mix only until combined. Add 4 eggs and cream, and blend until mixture just holds together as dough. Remove dough from mixing bowl, and turn out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently fold dough over itself 10 times. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a 7” round, about ¾” thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Brush tops with egg wash. Place separated wedges onto a baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool.