Establishment: School, Restaurant, Business and Industry Account
Meal Type: Soup, Stew, Chili
Preparation Method: Simmer
Product Type: Ground Turkey
1-1/2 Pounds GROUND TURKEY
1 Teaspoon canola oil
1/2 Cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 Cup green bell pepper, diced
1 Cup yellow onion, diced
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
1/2 Cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 15-Ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-Ounce can kidney beans, drained
8 Ounces tomato sauce
1/2 Teaspoon five spice powder
1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Teaspoon wasabi powder
2 Tablespoons Asian chili paste
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Brown turkey in canola oil and drain. Reserve the liquid.
- In the reserved drippings, saute the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger. Do not brown.
- Add soy sauce, tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Return cooked turkey to the stockpot. Stir in all other ingredients. Simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
8 Cups sticky rice, cooked
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- For each portion, spoon 1 cup sticky rice into a large shallow bowl. Press rice to the edges and top with chili. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
This recipe was developed by Chef Instructor Larry Weiss, CCC, CEC, from Western Suffolk BOCES in Huntington, NY. The Szechuan Turkey Chili recipe was the award winning soup recipe in the NTF "Turkey with a Twist" National Recipe Competition.
Chef: Larry Weiss
Chef Larry Weiss is a graduate of both Sullivan County Community College with a Culinary Arts degree and the City College of New York. He has been a member of the American Culinary Federation (ACF) since 1992 and has won many honors including a Gold Medal for Pastillage at ACF Long Island Culinary Salons. He is also a chef instructor to high school culinary arts students at the Wilson Tech Center. Restaurant: Western Suffolk Boces
Location: New York