3 (large) each
1 1/2 C.
2 1/4 C.
1 1/8 gal.
2 1/4 C.
Egg whites, lightly beaten
Hot pepper sauce
Peeled, deveined shrimp, see Note*
Unsweetened coconut, finely chopped
Finely diced red bell pepper
Minced lemon grass, fresh
Unsweetened coconut milk
Nahm Plah (Thai fish sauce)
Red pepper flakes
Cooked long grain or medium grain rice
Chopped toasted peanuts
Minced cilantro, optional
Cut in wedges limes
- In bowl, combine egg whites, ginger and pepper sauce; add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- Remove shrimp from egg-ginger mixture and drain slightly. Toss shrimp in a mixture of panko crumbs and coconut. Place in an even layer on a lined sheet pan and refrigerate until ready to stir-fry.*
For Each Serving (Shrimp):
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp. oil in wok or skillet and gently stir-fry 4 coated shrimp until golden brown and crispy (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from wok, drain and keep warm until ready to serve as directed.
For Each Serving (Rice):
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat; add 2-3 tsp. ginger and 1 tsp. garlic and stir-fry 15 seconds. Add 2 Tbsp. red bell pepper and 1 Tbsp. minced lemon grass and stir-fry just to heat through (about 10 seconds).
- Add 3 Tbsp. coconut milk, 1 Tbsp. Nahm Plah and a pinch of pepper flakes and cook until bubbly. Mix in 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, toss to mix well and stir-fry until hot and sizzling. Adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Stir in 3 Tbsp. scallion. Place on a hot plate.
- Top with a sprinkling of 1 Tbsp. each of chopped peanuts and minced cilantro, if desired. Place hot, crispy shrimp on to top of rice and serve accompanied by fresh lime wedges.
- *Note: Frozen, prepared crispy coconut shrimp may be substituted. Cook according to package instructions before serving as directed.