INGREDIENTS: Pasta dough
1 Tbsp. Ancho chile powder
1 ½ oz. tomato paste
½ lb. semolina flour
2 whole eggs
Pinch kosher salt
Water as needed
2 raw, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
½ tsp. cumin, toasted
¼ tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
¼ tsp. Ancho chile powder, toasted
1/8 tsp. Mexican oregano
½ cup whole kernel corn
1 tsp. butter, melted
½ onion, kept whole
Salt as needed
Pepper as needed
½ cup Scamorza smoked cheese
2 eggs, whisked
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, or more if needed
½ onion, medium dice
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 Serrano chiles, with or without seeds, depending on taste, rough chopped
1 Tbsp. crushed garlic
1 qt. chicken stock
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 bunches cilantro, washed
2 Haas avocados, seeded, peeled
1 cup heavy creamDIRECTIONS: For pasta dough:
1. In a dry sauté pan, sauté the chile powder until aroma is apparent; set aside and cool.
2. In a dry sauté pan, sauté tomato paste about 3 to 5 minutes, constantly stirring. Remove from heat, cool.
3. Combine all ingredients and knead until smooth. Adjust consistency with water if needed.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F; preheat grill to medium high. Season chicken meat with herbs and seasonings (cumin through oregano), grill, cool and shred meat.
2. Toss corn with the butter, pinch of salt and pepper and roast in the oven until corn is golden brown; reserve.
3. Season the onion with salt and pepper and place on a hot grill. Cook on all sides until nicely charred. Cool and cut into small dice; reserve.
4. In a mixing bowl combine chicken, corn, onion and cheese.
5. To assemble ravioli: Divide pasta dough in half. Roll out each to 1/8-inch thick. Use a large ravioli mold to make ravioli (or cut free form), top mold with one sheet of dough. Brush the outside edges of the ravioli dough with the whisked egg.
6. Fill each ravioli with approximately 1 tsp. of filling. Top filled ravioli with another layer of pasta. The egg will bind the pasta together. Roll a rolling pin over the top layer of pasta to cut the ravioli. Place ravioli on a parchment lined sheet pan; cover lightly with plastic wrap and reserve.
1. In a stockpot, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, green onions, chiles and garlic and sweat the vegetables until they become translucent.
2. Turn up the heat and add the chicken stock, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook an additional five minutes, turn off the heat and adjust seasoning to taste.
3. In a blender, in stages, add cilantro, avocado and stock mixture and blend until smooth.
4. Once the sauce is blended, strain through a cheesecloth or chinois.
5. Return the strained sauce to a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the heavy cream and cook until the mixture thickens; adjust seasoning.
6. To serve: Divide the sauce among bowls and top with three to five raviolis. Garnish with roasted corn or a chunky tomato salsa.SERVINGS:about 24 large ravioli depending on sizeFrom:John Christiansen, Executive Chef/Assistant Director, NE Baptist Hospital, San Antonio TXPHOTO CREDIT:Photo Credit: MRS. T’s PIEROGIES