24 whole turkey legs, cut into 1 lb. portions
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup olive oil
2 qts. onions, diced
1 qt. celery, diced
1 qt. carrots, diced
24 oz. white wine
4 oz. lemon juice
6 oz. tomato paste
48 oz. brown chicken demi-glace
5 bay leaves
4 stems thyme
4 stems oregano
2 stems rosemary
2 Tbsp. lemon rind
8 Portabella mushrooms
2 oz. olive oil
2 oz. balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp. shallots, chopped
1 Tbsp. thyme
1 Tbsp. oregano
10 oz. Marsala wineDIRECTIONS:1. For turkey: Cut lower bone from turkey leg and slice top of leg a little on a bias (approx. 2 inches thick). Reserve scrap for sauce.
2. Season meat with salt and pepper; dredge in flour; shake off excess.
3. Sear meat and scraps on all sides in olive oil until well-browned; add onions, celery and carrots and cook until well-browned. Deglaze with wine and lemon juice; reduce by half. Add tomato paste to caramelize.
4. Add brown chicken demiglace, herbs and lemon rind to mixture. Cover and place in 350°F oven for 1 hour, until meat is fork tender. Remove meat from sauce. Strain sauce into pot. Skim and reduce until proper consistency. With fish pliers, remove protruding sinew bones from leg; hold warm.
5. For the sauce: Toss portabellas with olive oil, vinegar, garlic and herbs. Roast in oven until cooked, let cool and cut into fine julienne; hold warm.
6. Reduce sauce until thickened, skimming frequently. Add Marsala and strain through a fine China cap.
7. To serve: Place warm turkey on a serving plate with saffron risotto and steamed baby broccoli rabe. Top turkey with mushrooms and ladle sauce over top. Serve immediately.NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories 750 (45% from fat); Fat 38g (sat. 10g); Protein 79g; Carbohydrates 16g; Sodium 480mg; Cholesterol 225mg; Fiber 3g
SERVINGS:24 servingsFrom:Submitted to FM by Lisa Brefere, Bear Stearns, New York, NY
PHOTO CREDIT:Photo Credit: MUSHROOM COUNCIL