Robust flavors and creative presentations enhance turkey offerings. These recipes demonstrate the possibilities.
Deep-Fried Turkey Cobb Salad
From: Chef/owner Aricka Westbrooks, Jive Turkey, Brooklyn, NY. Yield: 10 servings.
- 10 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- to taste, salt and freshly
- ground black pepper
- 30 oz. chopped romaine or mesclun greens, washed, dried, chilled
- 5 large ears supersweet fresh corn, kernels cut from ears
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 5 whole hard-cooked eggs, shelled and cut into large chunks
- 40 pieces grape tomatoes, rinsed, dried, chilled
- 2 lb. boneless turkey breast, deep-fried with skin removed and cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 10 pieces turkey bacon, cooked crisp and chopped fine
For vinaigrette: Combine lemon juice, mustard and sugar in food processor. Slowly pour in olive oil while processor is running. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
For salad assembly and service: For each order, place 3 oz. salad greens in large salad bowl. Arrange 1⁄4 cup corn kernels, 3-4 slices avocado, 1⁄2 sliced egg and 4 tomatoes atop greens in long strips over top of greens, leaving center free. Just prior to serving, warm turkey breast in foil in 350°F oven. Layer 3 oz. warm cubed turkey down center of salad. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing in separate bowl.
Turkey Roulade with Wild Rice and Wisconsin Gouda
Yield: 8 servings.
- 3 Tbsp. whole sweet butter, separated
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 pint chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- to taste, salt and white pepper
- 2 boneless turkey breast halves, skin on
- 12 slices Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese
- as needed, salt and pepper
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup Craisins®
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- to taste, salt and pepper
Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in saucepan. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add broth gradually to flour/butter mixture; cook gently until reduced by 25%. Add whipping cream, reducing about by 25%. Finish with remaining Tbsp. butter. Season with salt and white pepper; set aside.
Cook wild rice according to package directions and chill. Combine with Craisins, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble: Place a turkey breast half skin-side down. Cut (butterfly) almost in half horizontally. Open breast and pound with meat mallet to a uniform thickness of 1⁄2”, working toward a rectangular shape. Season with salt and pepper. Place 6 Gouda slices on turkey breast. Spread half of stuffing on top of Gouda. Roll up like a pinwheel, ending with skin on top. Tie with butcher’s twine. Repeat with remaining turkey breast. Place meat thermometer in center of one turkey breast. Roast at 325°F for about 45 minutes, or until meat thermometer reaches 165°F. Allow to stand for 15 minutes and slice. Serve with warmed supreme sauce.