Yield: 12 servings.
- 41⁄2 lb. veal brisket from breast
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 Tbsp. Tabasco® pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb. ground veal
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped white onion
- 8 large egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup minced fresh ginger
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup minced garlic
- 11⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 5 quarts veal stock, chilled
- 6 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 California avocados, peeled and sliced into 12 wedges
- 1⁄2 cup prepared tempura batter
- 18 cups cooked, warm ramen noodles
- for garnish, sauteed small oyster mushrooms
- for garnish, blanched small diced Idaho® potatoes
- for garnish, fresh chives and cilantro sprigs
Jacquard the veal brisket. Cut veal, with the grain, into 2”-wide strips. Combine marinade ingredients and add veal brisket strips. Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
For consomme: Combine ground veal, mushrooms, onion, egg whites, ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and pepper in large stock pot. Mix ingredients thoroughly until well-combined. Add chilled veal stock and mix well. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stop stirring when raft begins to form. Lower the heat and simmer very slowly for about 11⁄2 hours, without stirring. Carefully remove consomme with a ladle and strain through a chinois lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Degrease thoroughly; season to taste.
For smoking: In each of 2 hotel pans lined with foil, place 3 cups basmati rice mixed with 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, and 11⁄2 cups each of the cheeses. Cover with foil and make slits with a knife. Place perforated steamer insert on top.
Remove veal from marinade. Arrange and space half of veal slices on each insert in each pan, cover tightly with foil and place over low heat. Lightly smoke veal, 12 to 15 minutes or until medium doneness is reached. Once smoked, thinly slice on bias into thin medallions.
For avocado tempura: Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Cut avocados into wedges. Dip into prepared tempura batter and deep fry wedges until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Keep warm.
Per order: Ladle 1 cup hot consomme into bowl, and 11⁄2 cups (5 oz.) ramen noodles. Place 4 oz. veal medallions on top of noodles. Garnish with sauteed oyster mushrooms, diced potatoes, chive strands and cilantro sprigs. Finish with avocado tempura garnish.